| Tech Support
|AI & Tools|
These are the main features of the Communitas Map. The goal is a middle ground between aesthetic realism and gameplay balance.
This map creates several continents and numerous offshore islands, with realistic climate and many advanced features.
- Download the map: forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=21590
- Move the downloaded .civ5mod file to this folder:
\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS
- Remove any old versions of the mod.
- Start Civ 5.
- Click Mods.
- Wait for Civ 5 to automatically unpack the mods.
- Enable the mods.
- Click Next.
- Click Single Player.
- Look for "Communitas" in the map list.
- (Optional) Click "advanced setup" to change default options.
If you wish to use the map standalone or multiplayer, copy it from folder 1 to 2:
- \Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\Communitas Map (v 1)\Communitas.lua
- \Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\Maps\Communitas.lua
- Natural wonders appear at good unclaimed locations.
- Rivers flow through lakes into oceans.
- Mountain ranges affect rain, snow, and military strategy.
- Offshore islands reward naval exploration.
- Inland seas connect to oceans.
- The normal Continents-style option balances the two parts of the world.
- The Terra-style custom map option puts major civs on the largest landmass (basically Eurasia), with an offset Atlantic Ocean.
You can easily tune the map to fit your preferences. Open Communitas.lua and search for the "MapGlobals" section. This contains most settings for the map which do not show up on the advanced game menu.
Version History Edit
The page below shows all changes made to the project.
- Details: Communitas Map - History
I've included my personal tweaks to Rich Marinaccio's PerfectWorld map in this project for some time. I'm now taking it in a new direction with extensive new improvements to realism and gameplay balance. If you wish to play the original PerfectWorld script, I renamed the modified version to Communitas, allowing both scripts to coexist on the map list.
Perlin landform, elevation and rainfall creation
Island creation, code from Continents and Terra scripts
Ocean rifts, rivers through lakes, natural wonder placement, resource placement, map options, inland seas, aesthetic polishing
Mountain-pass finding algorithm